What can I do, I have obtained a County Court Judgment but I have not received payment from the debtor?
Photo Credit: milos milosevic via Compfight cc


A County Court Judgment (CCJ) will be registered as public information for a period of six years.

The implication to a debtor of having a CCJ against them is that the Court may force them to make a payment to settle this debt within a specified time limit. The CCJ will also affect their ability to obtain future credit and may lose opportunity when applying for jobs.

However in some instances you may find the debtor still avoid payments. Don’t give up on chasing the payment it is duly owed to you and you are entitled to receive the full amount. If the CCJ remains unpaid there are various options available to you whereby the extra costs will be added to the CCJ and the debtor will be liable to pay the additional amount.

The two key enforcement options which you should bear in mind to recover a unpaid CCJ. You could use the Bailiff Section of the Courts to levy on assets at the debtors address to fulfil the amount of the CCJ. Alternatively you could have the debtor orally examined in Court as to their means and/or property and possessions to enable an Attachment of Earnings to be arranged.

An Attachment of Earnings would mean the debtor’s employer will be liable to deduct a proportionate each month week/month from the debtors wage until the amount of the CCJ is fulfilled. It is important to note an Attachment of Earnings cannot be issued against a self employed debtor.

Remember there are other enforcement options such as third party debt orders and charging orders which may be available to you. Contact the Cash Protection Agency on 0116 2688965 if you have any questions. Do not let the debtor get away with not paying when you have already provided the goods or service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *